RE: Harvey's Garden

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Harvey's Garden
  • From: "Bailey, Sarah" sarah.bailey@uconn.edu
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:34:37 -0500

A couple of thoughts --

1) I like Adam's idea about seting aside some portion of the gardens as a demonstration food-growing, food-sharing garden. Anytime we can combine the aesthetic with the practical, it's a more win-win situation.

2) I'm not familiar with Tennessee's Master Gardener program, but here in Connecticut, this kind of project would be a great outreach opportunity for master gardeners and master gardener interns. They 're generally not landscape architects, but they are passionate gardeners, willing to put in the long hours necessary to see a project through to completion, and always looking for a chance to pass on their knowledge.

3) Why the emphasis on a landscape architect? Or are you using the term loosely? In my years in the field, I have to say that most landscape architects'plans I've seen, while prettty, don't adequately take into account what plants' growth habits and requirements are, or how much work is needed to maintain the planting. Don't be afraid to look at experienced folks in the field who may not have the "pricey" title attached to their name.

Sarah Bailey