From: Bailey, Sarah [mailto:sarah.bailey@uconn.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:35 AM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Cc: ltempleton@LTFunds.com
Subject: [cg] RE: Harvey's Garden

A couple of thoughts --

1) I like Adam's idea about seting aside some portion of the gardens as a
demonstration food-growing, food-sharing garden. Anytime we can combine the
aesthetic with the practical, it's a more win-win situation.

2) I'm not familiar with Tennessee's Master Gardener program, but here in
Connecticut, this kind of project would be a great outreach opportunity for
master gardeners and master gardener interns. They 're generally not
landscape architects, but they are passionate gardeners, willing to put in
the long hours necessary to see a project through to completion, and always
looking for a chance to pass on their knowledge.

3) Why the emphasis on a landscape architect? Or are you using the term
loosely? In my years in the field, I have to say that most landscape
architects'plans I've seen, while prettty, don't adequately take into
account what plants' growth habits and requirements are, or how much work is
needed to maintain the planting. Don't be afraid to look at experienced
folks in the field who may not have the "pricey" title attached to their
name.

Sarah Bailey