RE: Garden survey

Please check our website at clintoncommunitygarden.org, the ACGA website
with it's links to Greenguerilla, Green Thumb and the Trust for Public Land
for some additional information, ACGA can link to the community garden
people in Philadelphia and Montreal ( two progressive communities).

The Community Garden is situated on slightly more than a third of an acre on
W 48th Street in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan. Half of the garden is
a public area open to key holders in the garden's cachement area ( 34th
-59th Streets, 8th avenue to the Hudson river). We charge a fee of $5.00 for
a medeco key to the public garden which has floral, indigenous American
mid-Atlantic state plants, a beehive and a lawn area which are maintained by
garden volunteers. The governance of the garden is through an elected
steering committee of 14 members who direct the public plantings and other
garden matters. We currently have 2,000+ keyholders.

In the back garden area we have 108 individual garden plots which measure at
approximately 5' 7' feet. There are no rental fees, though we are asking
this year either a commitment of 8 hours volunteer time spent on garden
projects or a payment of a $25 fee in lieu of this work. As with any
volunteer project, there are usually a core of very tired volunteer workers.
We are looking to expand our crew of insanely dedicated volunteers!

We are an organic garden and are engaged in year round composting. As our
garden was built on a rubble strewn lot, our long term challenge is lead
abatement which we've worked on intensively since 1978.

As a NYC Department of Parks Community garden ( we were the first Green
Thumb garden to be transferred to Parks in the early 80's) we have a system
of piped in water in all areas of the garden. Our growing season is from
April through November ( though we still have some folks at this date in
December doing lettuce in cold frames.

Although we serve our local Hell's Kitchen community, we serve our local
Community Board as a meeting and party area ( CB 4 extends from 60th -14th
streets, from 8th Avenue ), and we have hosted city-wide community garden
events. As  neighborhood open space we've hosted classical string quartet
recitals, folk music, dance recitals and poetry readings as well as holding
regular garden tours.

We receive occasional soil amendments from Green Thumb ( a NYC agency) under
whose aegis we were originally organized.

Best wishes for the holiday season,

Adam Honigman