Re: community garden adjacent to nursing home

charles,
design features to consider
	relatives of people who live in nursing homes are often in a dilema about
presents. a garden is an opportunity for then to add features like windchimes,
fountains, birdbaths, etc. they just require guidelines that work with the
public site.
	places to sit should be provided for ambulatory persons.
	universal design is the buzzword you can use to search for design specifics.
libraries carry landscape architect books. this information is central to the profession.
	do not take away all of the steps. they can be a rehabilitation/ physical
exercise feature incorporated into the area. my 79 year old mother suffers
from bad knees. she prefers steps and a handrail to sloping walks anyday. 4"
high X 18" deep are the specs for elderly and young children. a sidewalk is
defined as anything with a 4% slope or less.
	think night time enjoyment. light colored flowers and very fragrant. solar
lights are nice low lighting features.

it would be helpful to know where this garden, and any other people that
request info, is located. not all design ideas work everywhere.
a four season garden here in iowa definely needs a different approach than one
in florida.
	a community garden should not be without flowers. the pollinators need them.
many flowers help deter bugs. i personally use "dusty miller" plants. i plant
them as a border around my cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli plants. the
rabbits eat the dusty miller and leave the other food plants alone. the seem
to rebound quite nicely, even when chewed down substantially. the rabbits like them.
i never use chemicals. my neighbors are all elderly and i have kids. plus, i
grew up on a farm and my mom grew four acres of truck garden without
pesticides or herbicides. we always mulched and other than transplanting,
never watered. this was in an area that received 18 to 20 inches of moisture a year.
adam's suggestions regarding the staff and neighborhood were very good. may i
suggest also involving any visitors. people are usually more comfortable when
there is something new to see and talk about when visiting.
would you please post the zone, city, or area this will be located?
would appreciate the info. then info could be tailored.
rebecca