[Fwd: zones and berries]

I live in the north phoenix area and I am trying to determine exactly
what gardening zone I live in. All of the zone maps are so confusing,
and different books and magazines and seed catalogs all have different
rateings..  I would also appreciate it if someone could shed some light
on the chances of blackberries surviving in the summer heat.  Some
catalogs list some varieties of blackberries as suitable for zones
6-10.,
   I have tried Home Depot bareroot grapes and have zero success in
getting them to grow.  I have tried them twice and even ordered 15
gallon thompson seedless from the local nursery with little success.. I
followed directions to the letter, I'm missing something.  Could someone
give me some words of wisdom concerning grapes and what types might grow
the best..
                                                Thanks- Patrick