our own garden

Hello, I am involved with a community organization which has the
opportunity to develop a plot of green space into a garden.  The only
trouble is, the site used to house a gas station, and we have yet to
hear from the EPA on contamination levels.  So, our group has bounced
around a few ideas, made a few plans, but haven't come to any
decisions.  The favorite idea involves builing around a large item of
some sort (someone suggested a trubuchet (catapult)), but we are having
difficulty bringing ideas to the table.  Anyone have suggestions?