RE: Number of community gardens

Your Prentice-Hall text book could include this information in the form of
bar of line graph example. Addition and subtaction examples could be quite
salutary. For your NYC textbook ( if the city ever buys any post Kennedy era
primary math test books) the following example would be apropos: . If city x
has 500 community gardens and developer "a" wants to build on 15% of them,
how many gardens will be bulldozed. In an election year, the mayor has
promised 37% of the gardens to developers. How many will be bulldozed now?

More felicitiously, you may use geometric examples like: The Y community
wants to build a community garden on a 200' x 150' lot. With 40% of garden
space dedicated to lawn, public flower beds, shed, compost bin and path
space, how many individual raised beds will the garden be able to create for
neighborhood residents? Figure this out with 10'x10' and 6'x4' beds.

Good luck with your project.

Adam Honigman