Judy Tiger & Friend:
Some Arkansas Organic Food Co-Ops:
Ozark Cooperative Warehouse
1601 Pump Station Road, PO Box 1528
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72702
Phone: 501-521-4920 Fax: 501-521-9100
Ozark Natural Foods Co-op
205 W. Dickson
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
Cove Creek Cooperative
General Delivery Main Street
Leslie, Arkansas 72645
2) A list of Arkansas farmers markets. Some of these farmers have to be
3) Here is a USDA page on sustainable agriculture:
4) Did you know that the "Don't Panic, Eat Organic" website emanates from
the University of Arkansas? Some good leads can be found here:
5) The Organic Trade Association:
6) This is a CSA farm in Arkansas that you might want to contact:
Marcie Brewster, Diane Schumacher
4059 CR 516
Huntsville, AR 72740
Serves: Carroll, Madison and
7) This link may give you some CSA farms in nearby states that might be
8) An Arkansas sustainable energy and technology company that services
Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas (ATTRA)
P.O. Box 3657
Fayetteville, AR 72702
M-F 8:30am-4:30pm CST
9) American Culinary Federation:
10) National Restaurant Association with Arkansas link:
11) Virgina may have graduated from either the Culinary Institute of America
or Johnson and Wales ( she certainly knows folks who went to either
restaurant school.) At any rate, contact either school for alumni living in
Arkansas, and fish around for purveyor contacts.
12) The Yellow pages is always a great resource. Let your fingers do the
Good luck, let us know how it works our for you.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Grow19@aol.com [SMTP:Grow19@aol.com]
> Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 1:24 PM
> To: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Subject: [cg] arkansas
> Hi All,
> My friend Virginia Dec is moving to Little Rock to co-run a newly opening
> restaurant. A few questions:
> 1.They hope to buy as much as possible from local organic farmers and
> like to know what mechanisms are already in place for doing this (farmers'
> co-op, direct purchasing).
> 2. In the long run she would also like to farm and would like to start
> meeting organic farmers to get to know the region, etc. Any
> 3. In the short run she'd like to grow on land close in. Are there
> garden plots? Any farmers really close in that would like a helper or
> willing to rent a bit of land?
> 4. I know she'd like to meet other chefs (anyone around from the Chefs'
> 5. Any good sized composting programs going on so they can compost they
> kitchen waste?
> Mmm. Good food soon. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.
> Judy Tiger, Washington DC
> community_garden maillist - email@example.com
community_garden maillist - firstname.lastname@example.org