Re: compost

Meanwhile, just up the road in Charlotte, we have an outstanding municipal
(county run) composting operation with a beautiful, all-plant-based compost,
but they charge everyone who wants it - and the price just went up (the old
price was about $20/yd3). What happens, though, is that the city buys
compost, which it then sometimes delivers, for free, to the 8 or so gardens
of our single, church-run, community garden program. In some cases, delivery
never happens, so 10-10-10 is now the dominant source of fertility. We have
given a couple of composting classes at one of the gardens and tried to get
more intensive community garden-based composting programs set up, but human
factors have interferred so far. We never give up. Maybe this year???

Don B. in Charlotte NC