Re: Talking about Food and Community Gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Talking about Food and Community Gardens
  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 12:57:27 -0500

At 04:26 PM 2/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
>For all of you who have tried to figure out how to communicate effectively
>about the connection between food and community gardens with different
>kinds of groups, from politicians to foundations to neighbors, I have a query:
>In a perfect world, a neighborhood would have one or more community
>gardens, a farmers' market or two, food shelves, several co-ops or places
>to buy organic food, some grocery stores, a school lunch program that
>promotes health and teaches children about really good food that tastes
>great, lots of restaurants in all price ranges and many other places to
>get fresh food such as bakeries, delicatessens and coffee shops.

One way to do it would be to create an idealized set of vignettes in
multiple media
flyers, slide show, short video.  Go through a day with several different
people as
they connect with food, community gardens, and other local gardens.  Show them
eating well gardening and having fun.

An example for a short video:

Late spring---
Sarah walks Emily and John to school early so they could work in their
community gardens. Show current planting with flash backs to last fall's

Sarah meets up with her friends(representing several ethnic groups) at Cafe
for breakfast.  Everyone has a different breakfast emphasizing as much local
food as possible.  Include traditional favorites and newer healthier foods.
  One person might have fresh juicy gleaming red strawberries and scandanavian
almond bread, another a smoothie,  and another a southwestern omelette with
local eggs
and current local vegetables/last fall's preserved vegetables,
etc.  Discuss/show where
food came from.

Then Sarah and her friends went to work on their community garden plots. Show
friends growing different gardens and different ethnic foods.  Show other
as well with flash backs to other seasons.  Show another scene of workers on
the weekend having fun on a group project, having a potluck, and gathering for
something like a musical event.

Switch to Emily and John and classmates.  Show them harvesting things for
lunch.  Show them eating tasty lunch things like fresh sweet peas in a
salad and
talking about how much better fresh food tastes over canned peas.   Show
pizza from last fall with homemade tomato sauce topped with pretty peppers,
or tacos with fresh salsa.  Film this at a school where the childrens' obvious
physical health shows the benefits of the good food, exercise, and culture.

Show other people shopping at the coop, and going to restaurants after work.

Visit a CSA to show fields and a bit of pick up time with that week's bounty
attractively displayed--may want to catch 3 very different boxes of  spring,
summer, and fall.

Show a local farm getting ready for a restaurant and grocery store delivery.

Contrast the scene of a panicy pre-storm grocery buyer with mostly empty chain
store shelves with a happy calm family making dinner from their pantry of
garden grown foods around a bright toasty fire.

Show all of the above easily accessible by walking, hand carts, bicycling.

Show an "interview" with the mayor of Gets-all-their-food-from-California-Town
contrasted with an "interview" with the mayor of
during an oil embargo.   Show people trying to make a meagre meal of odd bits
of what they were allowed from the quota of what got through this
like a meal of jello, sauerkraut, canned carrots, and potato chips  vs a
bountiful meal
of fresh seasonal food.  You could also show heathy deliveries by Pedal Express
http://www.pedalexpress.com/bya.htm .

Then ask if they would like to live in a place like this, and would they
like to
help make it happen?  The Garden of Eatin' vs current state of reality?