Talking about Food and Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Talking about Food and Community Gardens
  • From: "Anna Wasescha" <ariel@tc.umn.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:26:22 -0600

For all of you who have tried to figure out how to communicate effectively about the connection between food and community gardens with different kinds of groups, from politicians to foundations to neighbors, I have a query:
In a perfect world, a neighborhood would have one or more community gardens, a farmers' market or two, food shelves, several co-ops or places to buy organic food, some grocery stores, a school lunch program that promotes health and teaches children about really good food that tastes great, lots of restaurants in all price ranges and many other places to get fresh food such as bakeries, delicatessens and coffee shops.
In this perfect world, everyone would know about this local food system, not only because they live it every day but because it is reinforced by information they get in lots of different formats and from lots of different sources. Their understanding is more refined because it is based on information that is presented in the context of where they live and is presented in such a way that there is something they can do about it.
My query:   How would you construct neighbor to neighbor communications about the connections between food and community gardens?  What kind of content...what kind of format...what kind of distribution system?  What works?
I look forward to reading everyone's good ideas about this topic.  Thanks for helping me think this through.
Anna Wasescha
Farm in the City
1312 Dayton Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota  55104-6440