Looking for jobs in community gardens..

  • Subject: [cg] Looking for jobs in community gardens..
  • From: "laura, kadish" <kadish@cats.ucsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:22:13 -0800

Hello. My name is Laura Kadish.  I'm really interested in working to
develop community gardens.  I feel it is so important to connect people
with the land and the food it can produce.  I'll be graduating from
UC-Santa Cruz this March with a BA in environmental studies/sociology.
I've been looking online for some type of gardening work with community
gardens, but haven't had much luck.  Most of the jobs I've seen are
primarily teaching kids about gardening- something very important, but
yet, difficult for me to do because I have a speech impediment.
Eventually, I hope to improve my speaking abilities to a point where I
can communicate more effectively. However, for right now, I would really
like to work as a gardener in community gardens and have informal
interaction with people (i.e. not big group teaching sections).  For
example, maybe I could work as a "gardener helper" and show kids the
physical process of growing food. If anyone knows of any jobs like this
or people I could contact to find out more info, please let me know. I
really feel passionate about creating social and environmental change. I
just need to learn how I- with my own individual abilities- can work
towards this goal. Hope to hear from someone. My e-mail is
kadish42@hotmail.com. Thanks.