Teens as community builders

  • Subject: [cg] Teens as community builders
  • From: "Harriet Festing" <hfesting@pps.org>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:03:42 -0500

Hi,
We’ve just launched a new web-based feature at PPS that I believe will be of
interest to all of you, since it involves teens and public space. We
developed “Teens as Community Builders” to counteract the negative images
imposed on teens by highlighting programs in which teens are working to
improve public space.

For example, we profile teens working not only to restore Prospect Park in
Brooklyn, but also produce events there for their peers, given the shortage
of park activities for young people (as opposed to children). Another
highlight is a space designed by and for teens within the central library in
Phoenix.

You can have a look at the feature here:
http://www.pps.org/tcb/tcb_main.htm - I’d love to know what you think. Also,
if you know of other people or organizations we should contact about this
resource, pass on their names. And finally, let me know if you have ideas
for programs that should be included in the feature.

Thanks
Harriet

Harriet Festing
Project for Public Spaces
153 Waverly Place, 4th floor
New York, NY 10014
hfesting@pps.org
212-620-5660

Project for Public Spaces
building community - creating places - using common sense

parks & plazas - markets - transportation - civic design

26 years - 1000 communities - 46 states - 12 countries
training & education - publications - planning & visioning

become a member - visit our websites
www.pps.org / www.urbanparks.pps.org