Lead in Compost

Hello all.
I received some lead test results today for 13 community gardens in the neighborhood where I live and work.  For each garden, I sent in samples of compost, soil from a garden bed, soil from a path or common area, and some dry fall leaves.
In Minnesota, 100 ppm lead is considered contaminated and 400 ppm is considered hazardous.  None of the results were in the hazardous range.
What is curious to me, though, is that more than half of the compost results came back at approximately 100 ppm lead, the threshold for soil contamination.  I'm wondering how the lead is getting into the compost.
Anyone familiar with lead in compost?
Corrie Zoll
Program Director, GreenSpace Partners
The Green Institute