FW: ACGA membership

  • Subject: [cg] FW: ACGA membership
  • From: "Sally McCabe" <smccabe@pennhort.org>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:38:31 -0500

PLEASE REPLY TO ian@awenet.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Dickson [mailto:ian@awenet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 3:10 PM
To: smccabe@pennhort.org
Subject: ACGA membership

Dear Ms. McCabe:

I am a Peace Corps volunteer serving in Kingston, Jamaica.  My site is
a large inner-city squatter community called Drewsland, which has been
long underserved by all governement agencies, and suffers all of the
usual social and infrastructural consequences.  My host agency, a
community based organization, is studying the possibility of starting a
community garden for senior citizens.  Many of these are living alone,
and are not well-supported by their children.  We hope that gardening
will get them outside and active, while providing a small source of
income and food.  We have already obtained permission to use a small
piece of land (about 45' by 220'), and soon will begin seeking
funding.

None of us have any experience in community gardening.  I have found a
few useful resources on the internet, but I think access to your
training resources would be a much greater help.  However, our
organization is entirely without funding at this time.  Our
organization is staffed solely by unpaid volunteers, with very low
personal incomes.  I wonder if you would consider providing membership -
or just access to educational materials - as a form of sponsorship.  We
would be extremely grateful.  If you cannot, perhaps you could direct
us to some useful resources which might be available for free.  The
embassy has a library service which should be able to get things in for
us.

You can contact me at this email address (ian@awenet.com), or by mail
at:

Ian Dickson