RE: Re:query:how to argue for land

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re:[cg]query:how to argue for land
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:48:10 -0500

Lisa,

Yes. The idea of a community garden should be that it be accessible to the
community at large as well as garden members.

Understand also that a community garden is a specific use space in the same
way that a public library is: both public but certain behaviors are expected
within.

How this works: The Clinton Community Garden is a gated 150' x100' public
space with 120 odd members and 3,000 + keyholders who live in our  cachement
area ( 8th Ave west to the Hudson River - between 34th & 59th Streets ,
approximately 70,000 souls.) This garden, in a still rough neighborhood, has
attractive beds on its street periphery and while always locked, has a
policy to let folks enter while a keyholder is around. We manage to control
unfriendly uses this way and keep it a broken-glass, drug, crime and dog
crap-free space.

Here's our website which includes our keyholder agreement, back garden,
governance and special event policies. It's actually more fun than I make it
sound:

http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Good luck with the garden you are planning. Please let us know how things
are working out for you. Once you are established, you may want to join the
American Community Gardening Association, the folks who run this listserve
and promote community gardening throughout North America -
http://www.communitygarden.org

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman