CG Ratio for Elk Grove

  • Subject: [cg] CG Ratio for Elk Grove
  • From: SoleilPaz@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:15:42 EST

Hi All,

       Thanks so much for all the infomation that was shared here, Bill, Jerry, and others, especially Lenny, whose paper was indespensable. I've discovered that part of my job here as visioneer for Elk Grove CG is to try and help shape our city's new General Plan being created right now, which I am doing through a grassroots citizen's group for Smart Growth. The group has asked me for a CG figure to include in their own General Plan for our city.  So, I find myself in the uncomfortable position of reluctant political participant and rabble-rouser.
       We are a suburban area 15 minutes south of Sacramento, traditionally agricultural & small town in nature. Such rampant growth and developement have happened here recently that many are up in arms over the greedy leapfrogging, new automall cutting down large oaks, gigantic mall proposal outside our urban boundaries district, etc etc. Not only do we need ONE CG here to get people back in touch with the land and it's nourishing effects, but we desperately need a CG policy so to spread the influence, to shape CG developement in future land use proposals, and to make certain that our fragile Cosumnes, the last free flowing river from the Sierras maintains the ghost of it's true identity as aquifer feeder for our Sacramento Valley region. We all need water to drink too! So, I understand those of you who are reluctant to speak on specifics, as each town has it's own history,  identity and challenges. But we must stop this fence-sitting and jump in. So, here's me doing it. Argh!!

Here's the boil down.

Seattle: by far the most progressive & admirable policy
1 CG per 2500 residents, not acreage specific
Accomplished by a previously established network of CGs & an organization of CG lobbying power, each neighborhood made it's own plan, then these were adoped under a Seattle Comprehensive Plan (a wonderful process I envy!!).

NYC: attempts 2.5 acres open space per 1000 residents
reality is low income areas have far less

Small town in upstate NY: no official policy
but 31000 residents have 75 plots of 20x30 which they keep filled

Sacramento: no policy officially
5 acres per 1000 residents for open space, Quimby Act, hmmm must research

So, just for starters, I suggest bargaining for 5 CG acres per 5K residents. If an official policy could be adopted, possibly ranging as little as 1 CG acre (or 1 CG, acreage nonspecific) per 10K EG residents, guaranteed.
What do you all think?  --Soleil

The Elk Grove Community Garden

Soleil Tranquilli 685-8010

“In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions
on the next seven generations.” --Great Law of the Iroquoise Confederacy