productive gardening (part 2)

  • Subject: [cg] productive gardening (part 2)
  • From: "oliver ginsberg" <ginsberg@blinx.de>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:01:42 +0100

Adam,

I don't know if I should be more disappointed at not having received any
hint on this bloody survey or at your lack of knowledge concerning garden
productivity.

Any half way properly designed biointensive gardening system has up to 50%
higher productivity than conventional farming systems even with all that
genetically engineered and hyperfertilized business going on. Add some
threedimensional permaculture design features and you can easily reach twice
as much productivity in biomass and nutrition. That's not the point of why
these systems can`t compete with farming. Basically it's labor intensiveness
that makes the difference (if you want to call gardening "labor") , control
over land and the availability of cheap oil, not to mention externalization
of ecological and social costs off the balance sheet of industrialized
agriculture. If  overall productivity of farming systems were the only
decisive factor in implementing farming systems we`d have a global urban and
periurban organic farming society... (consult any material by John Jeavons,
Allan Chadwick, Bill Mollison or you name it on that basic fact)

If I can convince you that no surveyor was smoking no nothing - will you
personally offer me a guided tour through Clinton community garden(should I
ever again happen to make it to NYC) ?

greetings

Oliver