composting bins

  • Subject: [cg] composting bins
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:39:55 -0600

Hi there,
about the plastic tumblers - I think they are way too small and pricey for
the use. Probably a better tool for home gardeners. For rodent proofing, try
building a three bin (wooden supports) system covered in hardware cloth.
Lids of hardware cloth would allow rain in and keep critters out. I don't
recall ever seeing a rat in my compost bin, though we have them in the area.
I do get little nests of mice. If that doesn't suit, how about recycled 55
gallon drums that could be tumbled? I tried that once, also. Still found
them too small for the material we composted...
Best from Mpls,
Lisa