RE: First time open house

  • Subject: RE: [cg] First time open house
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:25:04 -0500

Lisa,

Food, music and tours are a great way to get folks interested. Have your
friendlier gardeners around to serve as docents/tour guides.  Go to the ACGA
website and check out children's gardening - if you don't have a children's
bed in your garden, start one ( make sure that the soil is tested clean of
all heavy metals and possible pollutants) get a good coordinator to do it.
You can do this with one of the local schools or churches too. But children
need supervision to understand the difference between playground and garden
( many adults do too!)

A big selling point is that your community garden is a safe, drug and
crime-free green space. Hopefully your low-income public housing is safer
than ours in NYC, but I believe that this kind of space is a haven for
peaceable folks who will get involved. Reach out to the women and seniors
first, the cooler guys and kids will follow. In any really good social
organization, it's often the women who provide the strongest link of social
cohesion.

Have a way for interested folks to join the garden, lay out the rules ( you
can go again to the ACGA website http://www.communitygarden.org  or to my
garden's membership front and back garden rules for forms and governance
suggestions

http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman