Productive Gardening Part 3

  • Subject: [cg] Productive Gardening Part 3
  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:06:39 -0500

My guess is that Adam and Oliver are referring to two slightly different
things.

Most likely the report that Oliver heard about showed that the land
that is farmed in NYC is, in general, the most productive in the country
in terms of output per square foot of the land farmed. I would think this
could be true as the
  plots seemed to farmed attentively and intensively.

However, as Adam noted, an insufficient amount of land is gardened in
NYC to support NYC.  So other places are actually producing more food
in their area per square mile as more land is being used to produce food.
The food produced per square foot of land farmed is lower though.

However, if people gardened in (for example) lower South Carolina or
Florida with the same
intensity of the NYC plots they could do better than NYC as they could garden
in 3 seasons instead of 2.  For instance, the Florida Habitat for Humanity
wanted
a design for a 4x6 foot raised bed that could produce a lot of food to use
as an option
for their houses.   The one I designed for them was intensive (though not
terribly
sustainable by it self, based mostly on annuals without the benefits of
permaculture), and it at medium yields you could expect over 180 pounds of
food from it along with herbs and flowers.
   I don't know if any of the people at Adam's garden have tallied up their
yields, though this would be interesting  since their plots are also 4x6 feet.

I have pondered designs for a 4x6 foot mixed permaculture/intensive plot, but
haven't settled on anything yet.  I do like to give my planning self the
advantage
of having my plot in the northernmost row, so that the height of the items on
the back row don't affect anyone else's plot :-).

In the UK people are generally allowed larger plots than people in the US,
so there are more permaculture sections and advantages of that on a plot.
Many of the gardeners also combine this with intensive planting.  So their
variety and yields are quite good on these pieces of land as well.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net