Community Gardening in Michigan!

  • Subject: [cg] Community Gardening in Michigan!
  • From: Amanda Maria Edmonds <aedmonds@umich.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:43:18 -0500 (EST)
(For Michigan community garden folks-- drop me an email and I'll send you
an attachment with the map, description, etc... I didn't want to send it
along to the entire listserve... Amanda)

Involved in community gardening?  Interested in becoming involved?  Want
to know what's going on in community gardening in Michigan?   Please join
us for the MICHIGAN COMMUNITY GARDENER MEETING!  Everyone is welcome and
encouraged to attend!

Saturday, March 9th
5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Kellogg Center, Room 103
Campus of Michigan State University

The meeting is in conjunction with MSU's Agriculture and Natural Resources
(ANR) week. There is lots of fun stuff happening so please check out the
webpage- www.canr.msu.edu/anrweek/

Attached are a flier, directions, and decription.

This event is free and open to all those interested in learning more about
what is happening in community gardens across the state.  The meeting will
begin with a panel discussion with veteran community gardeners from across
the state. The panel will include representatives from gardening programs
in Flint, Detroit and Lansing. Each representative will share their "best
practices" - things that make their gardens successful. Topics will
include: how to tell your story and advocate for your program, school
based garden programs, raised bed gardening, reclaiming and revitalizing
neighborhoods, fundraising and community organizing for community
gardeners, and how to use community gardens as a tool to end hunger.

After the panel there will be small group problem solving break out
sessions. This will give community gardeners with similar programs and
similar challenges an opportunity to brainstorm and collectively develop
solutions. Session topics will include fundraising, garden maintenance,
and community organizing.  After the break out sessions there will be
opportunities for attendees to make announcements, share information about
their community gardening efforts, make new contacts, and ask questions.

For more information please contact Ashley Atkinson at aatkinso@umich.edu

     We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi