Re: Nestle's production of whole milk & urban myths.

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Nestle's production of whole milk & urban myths.
  • From: budge@magicaldesk.com
  • Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 11:36:26 +0800

Helen -

Again, with deepest respect - you do not know me. You do not know where I live or how old I am or what I do for a living or what I believe about anything. Given that you seem to have misunderstood my post, I'd say that you are drawing conclusions with a severe lack of data.

For the record - I am not the sort of person who takes hearsay as gospel truth, especially when it comes from individuals about whom I know nothing. An assertion of rather radical parameters is highly likely to elicit a request for further data. You made an assertion that all powdered milk in this country is industrial waste, and not actual milk. But, that powdered milk in other countries is, indeed, powdered milk, and NOT industrial waste. Which is not to say that the stuff isn't processed, as clearly it is, but is it industrial waste?

Therefore, I have, with respect, and as politely as I know how, requested that I be allowed to view the data upon which you are making these assertions. What I have been returned is anecdote and hostility, not data, and definitely not proof of your assertions.

I apologize in advance if you view the preceeding as snide. It is not intended to be snide. It is intended to point out that I have, merely, requested that you back your assertion with data so that I may understand the conclusions you've reached.

Pamela Budge

gfcp@mindspring.com wrote on 2/1/2003
The catalogue from PlanetNatural.com has a product that claims to be a
method of detection for lead in paint - it might help detect that toxic
substance in the soil of city gardens. Hope this helps the person who needs
to test soil.
++++++++++++++===as for urban myths and Nestle which is moving to Mexico
after being rebuffed in an attempt to buy Hershey company.

We attempted to purchase whole milk for the Y2K supply we set aside for our
family just in case the computers were not fixed on time. (an alleged urban
myth that was real) I worked for the
Pa. computer people who ran Childline and the Juvenile Facilities statewide
so I knew that the roll over to the new century problems were very real. My
boyfriend is a Nuke inspector and was well aware that the deadline for many
banks might not be met so we prepared to supply our families, grown children
and their children as well as our ex-spouses and their now significant
others. We did find that Walnut Acres no longer sold the whole milk and was
not selling much because the farm was being sold. We did the research and
contacted Nestle Company because we found cans sold in a Chinese grocery
with labels in Spanish. The facts are as we were told by the company. I
really don't appreciate the snide remark that I don't know whereof I speak.
In the 1960's I read in a book by a nutritionist who is now deceased that
the non fat powdered milk was the result of efficiently reusing a byproduct
that would
be thrown away in an industrial process much like the fluoride sold to stop
tooth decay. I can't remember the woman's name but my friend has worked,
like me, in a multitude of jobs around the country. He knows really weird
stuff, much like that urban myth, Karen Silkwood.

Some urban myths, like the bombing of the plane off the Japanese coast some
years ago turn out to be true. Stand by for more on the shuttle
explosion... Y2K was not the end of the world but it was a time when the
computers would not work if the patches were not done and lots of small
companies and state governments were not aware of the problem. That was a
so called urban myth that led us to store up food for our grandchildren
which is why I know about the reluctance to sell whole milk in the USA. I
also worked as a clerk typist in the Pa. Dept. of Agriculture so I know that
the Milk Marketing Boards don't like to have whole powdered milk sold
because then people won't have to stock up on liquid whole milk prior to
snow storms. In Fla. the parmalat (milk that has a shelf life of 6 months)
product was sold for years but we never had it in this area. Fla. residents
used it for the hurricane season, it would have been nice in northern New
York, especially Buffalo, but I never met anyone who knew about it...

I am 55 years old and have been around the country and met lots of people in
the military so I think that before you dismiss everything as an Urban Myth
you should get some advanced degrees or just wait and see as I used to teach
my kids... We ate natural and organic foods when Rodale was belittled as a
fool and now even you, Pamela, think that natural is good.

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.

The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to Click to bookmark this address http://www.communitygarden.org