Re: Is ACGA virtual?

  • Subject: [cg] Re: [cg]Is ACGA virtual?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:03:21 EST

Don,

As always, your contributions to this ACGA listserve are always to the point,
informative and very useful.

As you know, but many the folks who communicate on this listserve may not
know, that the national office of the ACGA was housed and manned by
Philadelphia Green and employees of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
for many years.  The legendary Sally McCabe,  Janet Carter (both ACGA board
members) along with volunteer Dorene Pasekoff are the voices that many of us
remember from calls to the ACGA office.  Around the time of the NYC ACGA
conference in July 2003, the word started to circulate that after 20 odd
years, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society was not going to continue to
provide the ACGA with free office space and Pennsylvania Horticultural
Society/Philadelphia Green paid employee hours.  As an ACGA member, I am
extremely grateful that the Pennsylavania Horticultural Society gave the ACGA
so much over so many years and for the work of Sally McCabe, Janet Carter and
volunteers like Dorene Pasekoff.

It is my understanding that the upcoming ACGA board meeting this month in
Mississippi will be working on the logistics of the site of the new office
and how the office work and files, which were carried for so many years by
the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, will be handled -  going forward.

As a grassroots volunteer, and not a board member, I do not know all of the
details and expect that after the ACGA board meeting, the general membership
will be informed of the new mailing address, phone, e-mail and the name of
the folks doing the office work.

However,  the last time I looked, and that was last weekend at the Clinton
Community Garden when I  and other ACGA members deposited compost into our
bins, the ACGA was very real. We are working on increasing the individual
ACGA membership numbers at our garden and I will be bringing ACGA membership
forms to our annual meeting next month.  While we have elected leadership,
the guts of who were are is gardener membership - it's where I'm spending
volunteer hours and I hope others are doing so as well.

Many individudal gardeners and organizations that are scrambling at this time
don't "get it," i.e., haven't yet transferred some of the loyalty and support
that they have for their own gardens and garden support organizations to the
ACGA, the continent wide voice of community gardening in the United States of
America and Canada.

The "who, what, where, how and why's"  of where the office will be sited, how
it will be financed, membership growth (hint: PLEASE JOIN OR RENEW YOUR
MEMBERSHIPS ASAP) and the vision for this new century will be discussed at
the next board meeting.  I know that the phone lines between board members
are burning up with conference calls and e-mails to get this work done. I
know that board members are handling the finances, sending out publications.
I know that Ellen Kirby, the ACGA President, is working hard on this as well
as the rest of the board, which is scattered all over the US and Canada.

I am sure that after the ACGA board meeting, that there will be requests for
assistance, but at this juncture, the only request that I am sure of is that
we need to send in our memberships and convince other fellow volunteers in
our local gardens to do so as well.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman