Re: Helping ACGA

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Helping ACGA
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 01:02:50 EST

Libby,

I like locals, and have belonged to several restaurant locals - both mafia
run and under federal trusteeship. But as a shop steward, I have realized
that under whatever aegis the group was standing, it was the local organzing
and membership that was key.  I've seen the good, bad and the ugly of strong
locals and weak nationals, strong nationals and weak locals and the idea - a
strong local and national organization.

Now, I would never equate the volunteer organization of the ACGA with the
often corrupt Hotel Restaurant and Bartender's International Union (
incidentally, my corrupt local was called "Local 69", I can't make this up.)
The folks who sit on the board don't make money off of this, unlike the cigar
smoking wiseguys who ran my union, and are really inspired by doing the right
thing.  Yes, by all means, develop strong locals, but be sure that this
helps.  Again ,this is on the organization's table.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman