RE: ACGA, Rural gardens

  • Subject: RE:[cg] ACGA, Rural gardens
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:49:05 EST

Lynn, David, Jim and friends,
Having been a Community Garden organizer for several years in an area where space is not the premium I can tell you that gardens can and often should be built around the community part of the word.  A goal, distribution to homebound, contributions to food banks, neighborhood food pantries or educational goals tend to bring these gardens together.  The building of community spirit is still the same, works just as well.

Regional organization would help facilitate this kind of garden.  To folks in the cities on the coasts or elsewhere, Community Gardening is a very different ideal and reality than it is to folks in rural areas.  But the goal is just the same.  Certainly my talks with the folks in Kansas, Texas, Arkansas and other parts of Oklahoma are more helpful to what we are trying to do than talks with folks on the coast.  But the goals are the same.

Adam, the community garden bartender, has said that there are many faces to a community garden.  There are many regions as well.

The CG I'm building right now is just outside of town and offers space to townies, students and folks who want to learn about gardening.

Peace,
John Herndon
Village Green Community Garden
Norman, Oklahoma