Fwd: (Public.Spaces) American Community Gardening Association

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: (Public.Spaces) American Community Gardening Association
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:30:18 EST

Friends,

Sometimes the cart comes before the horse. And it happens good naturedly and
with the best of intentions...

Still, I find it confusing that this representative of Chicago Botanic garden
has reached out to the Project for  Public Spaces  list serve before it
reached out to our membership for speakers and papers at the ACGA's national
convention.

While the Project for Public Spaces does remarkable work in educating the
public on public space issues ( I am an active participant on that listserve)
and are  in the forefront of "urban sprawl" and public space issues, they are
not a community gardening organization.  In fact, many of the participants
have no idea of what a community garden is... While I believe that we can all
learn from zoning, landscape architects and public space experts, this
invitation is a prime example of  "putting the cart ahead of the horse", the
horse being community gardeners.

As a community gardener who looks to the Chicago Botanic garden for
leadership in enabled gardening for limited movement seniors and the
wheelchair bound as well as guidance in rooftop gardening - Chicago Botanic
is a national leader  -  I'm sure that this will shake out.  Would some
Chicago community gardener please contact the undoubtedly well meaning writer
of the attached message, please?

Fraternally,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer