Re: Re: other dangers to children

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: other dangers to children
  • From: "Stan Call" actionseed@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:57:01 -0800

Dear Lisa and listserv,

Just a thought on how to get some action on lead drinking water and arsenic gardens:

The more this network is present and involved in the anti-war and global justice movement, the more visibility issues like this will have. I attended a workshop on water rights at the World Social Forum, and it really brought home the urgency of ecological matters to me and other participants, some of whom went on to get involved in the World Water Forum! We need to brainstorm some strategic targets for a nonviolent direct action, boycott, and protest campaign to force someone to clean this stuff up.

1. Choose a strategic target with the resources and moral responsibility to conduct environmental cleanups in schools/stop using arsenic in lumber

2. Bring together a coalition of organizations to sponsor the campaign whose staff can help spearhead the organizing and publicity

3. Have some planning meetings with core people

4. Publicize a date and location, and turn-out to all the anti-war rallies and other big events with tons of (recycled, soy ink) flyers

Maybe this is already being done, and maybe there are entire organizations specifically working on such a campaign. But I haven't heard of them yet, so there is still some networking to be done.

Stan Call