Gardening or French Ministry of Foreign Affairs

  • Subject: [cg] Gardening or French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:41:21 -0500

Dear Melanie,

I wholly understand your perspective about keeping the list on topic. This debate has been going on since I joined the list in 1995.

In my years as a professional community gardener, I find more and more how everything is interconnected, and that gardening both flowers and vegetables is very, very political.

By the very fact that one chooses to tend to nature in a garden is a transcendent move beyond the violent paradigm, politics and economics that seek to control and eradicate the natural world, and seeks to control your mind to do as they do. There's no way around that.

While I agree that this list mustn't go too far off topic, I invite you to deeply consider the relationships between gardening, particularly community gardening, and politics, including the White House's intention to attack Iraq.

Best regards,
Paco