Good Things

Each year in Toledo, we send "renewal" applications to community gardens who want to be a part of Toledo GROWs.  One of the items on the application asks the garden leader to note one or two positive things that happened in their garden or because of your garden in the previous year.  This year I typed up some of the quotes, to send to a potential funder.  I thought I'd share them with you:

 Mulberry & Noble Street Neighborhood Garden: “Kept weeds and grass down, produced food for community”

 Kids Kare (East Toledo Family Center) Garden: “One of the boxes of food was donated to a nursing home.  All the items were used for food within the center and its families.”

 Youth Treatment Center Garden: “Rick (Garden Leader) from Teneyck Towers did a good job watering our garden when we were not available to come. Kids enjoyed the privilege of going to the garden.”

 St. James Head Start: “People have said the garden definitely adds warmth to the school entrance and makes the building more inviting.  The children really enjoyed planting their tiny plants outdoors—digging, watering and handling; observing the earthworms.”

 Monroe Street Community Garden: “The children and youth and adults of the neighborhood center programs took ownership of the garden and took care of it as well as picked the fruits of it.  The children and youth began to learn about gardening process from planting to harvest.”

Mercy Garden: “Got our garden shed and was able to consolidate all our garden tools.  Fence remained in place this year—no need to have to remove for tilling.”

Maywood Avenue Garden: “After a late start in planting, I was very pleased with the production of the garden.  Had plenty of vegetables to distribute with neighbors.”

Harbor House: “In our garden during the year 2002, we were able to produce wonderful vegetables to eat.”

Helping Hands/St. Louis“We produced over 400 pounds of vegetables to give away!  Church is letting us use the garage.”

 Gesu School Garden: “The butterfly garden was a huge success, as were other areas.  Created good community spirit among the gardeners.”

 Boston Street Garden: “We grew lots of vegetables and learned about soil improvement.”

We are stardust  .  .  . we are golden  .  .  . and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Shelly Collins
Toledo GROWs Manager
Toledo Botanical Garden
5403 Elmer Drive
Toledo, Ohio  43615
419-936-2970
tgrows@toledogarden.org
"Enriching you life through gardens, the arts and nature"
www.toledogarden.org