summer garden-related activities for children and youth

  • Subject: [cg] summer garden-related activities for children and youth
  • From: "Hope Coulter" <arhunger@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:29:23 -0600

Title: Message
Someone wrote in a few weeks ago (I'm sorry, I seem to have lost the e-mail and can't remember who it was) asking about summer activities for children and youth in a garden.  There's a really neat garden run by children (with Cooperative Extension Service help) in a housing project in Van Buren, Arkansas.  The name of the garden is DIG'N'IT ("Developing Increased Gardening and Nutrition Intelligence Together").  One thing they do in the summertime is to have fun contests with their vegetables, such as:
biggest squash
funniest-looking squash
longest bean
biggest watermelon
You get the idea.
They also hold an end-of-harvest dinner and invite all the people who've helped them or made donations, and they serve foods from the garden, including pickles and preserves.
I think the local library gets in on it too.
Hope this helps,
Hope Coulter, Executive Director
Arkansas Hunger Coalition