Academic credit for food systems work

  • Subject: [cg] Academic credit for food systems work
  • From: Amanda Blaine <ablaine@thefoodproject.org>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:12:22 -0500

From The Food Project:

The Food Project is currently investigating ways for the youth involved in
our programs to receive academic credit (on the secondary or undergraduate
level) for the work they do. We are seeking your input as we go about this
research. Do any of you know of or work with youth organizations which
provide academic credit for their participants? If so,
I would be most grateful if you could contact me so we can discuss the
particulars of those
arrangements. You may reply directly to me at

For more information about our organization and this initiative, read on:

The Food Project (thefoodproject.org) connects urban and suburban youth
with each other as they create personal and social change through
sustainable agriculture. The youth involved in our programs range in age
from 14 --25, and come from a diversity of neighborhoods across metro

We are interested in learning about models for providing young people
involved in food-system related community service and activism with
academic credit for that work. Helpful resources you could provide include:

-- names and contact information for existing youth programs (food system
related or not) which are linked to credit-granting institutions or
otherwise provide academic credit for
their participants

-- names and contact information for secondary or undergraduate
institutions which currently sponsor or arrange credit for service
learning, experiential learning, or community activism
-- names and contact information for secondary or undergraduate
institutions (or even graduate schools) which might be sympathetic to this

 -- any other resources you think might be valuable.
 We look forward to any insight you have to offer. Please feel free to
forward this request to or otherwise link us up with colleagues who might
be helpful.

Thanks sincerely,
Hannah Freedberg

Academic Credit Project Intern
The Food Project
Lincoln and Boston, MA
Candidate for M.S. in Environmental Education
Antioch New England Graduate School
Keene, NH 03431

Amanda Blaine
Food Project Fellow