Composting in a 4,000 keyholder Garden.

  • Subject: [cg] Composting in a 4,000 keyholder Garden.
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:04:30 EST

You have a point there, but the detail is the chopping.  We have 4,000, soon to be 5,000 keyolders at the Clinton Community Garden, and a lot of the folks who deposit their greening stalks of celery, floral arrangements, and other compostables who are NOT gardeners, and don't cut the stuff up. However, these contributions are their way of "saving the world."

Bless them.

We have appropriate compost signage,of course,  but people do read what they want to.  And we don't have a "compost God" hovering over our piles, smiting the contributors of the "unclean" and "uncut" to the composting altar, large piles don't work for us.

And many of our back gardeners, garden in several New York minutes through the season, and may be weeding, or will pull stuff out like tomato stalks, etc, and in their rush to get off to the next thing, like a second job, or family, leave us with the unclipped woody detrius of their gardening season.

Again, yes we put up signs, and people like me cut up our own stuff into small pieces before we put them in the compost heaps, but in our history,  as we don't get dog crap, kitty litter and dead cats in our compost bins, we deem ourselves lucky.

I'm glad you have a more civilized composting situation than we do.

Adam Honigman,
Clinton Community Garden