Growing edibles on streetsides

  • Subject: [cg] Growing edibles on streetsides
  • From: "Lisa Coven" <LCoven@ci.Burlington.vt.us>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:49:38 -0500

There has been recent discussion with growing concern about growing
edibles in the area between the street and the sidewalk in my community.
 I have been trying to find substantial research on the risks of eating
food grown in this area or so close to the street.  Perhaps there are no
known risks or even ill effects but I also have not found any community
that supports and encourages urban dwellers to grow food in these areas.

I appreciate all the feedback and direction that anyone may have on
this subject.

Lisa Coven
Conservation Legacy Program
Burlington Area Community Gardens
Burlington Parks and Recreation Department
645 Pine Street, Suite B
Burlington, Vermont 05401
802- 863-0420
fax- 802-862-8027