edibles on a busy street

  • Subject: [cg] edibles on a busy street
  • From: "Neufeld" <apneufeld@telus.net>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:35:05 -0800

When war broke out in Iraq last spring, I responded by building a garden on a busy corner.  The land was a city easement bordering on a church parking lot.  The church gave me permission, and when I called the city, they seemed ok with it and simply suggested that I avoid tall plants (for visibility) and that there be some plants that would give winter interest.  So, neighbours pitched in with building it, the municipal compost system donated a truckload of compost, the local garden centre donated some plants and my housemate painted a sign that said "peace garden".  I have been amazed at how respectful people have been of the space.  And any time any of us work out there there are lots of honks and waves.  There has also been a stories in the local paper and tv station.

Anyway, mostly we planned to make it ornamentals, but a few edibles crept in, since this was not a carefully planned out venture.  Someone planted swiss chard, and it thrived there only a few feet from the traffic.  It actually was more attractive than some of the flowers that didn't survive well in the drought conditions we got last summer.  A strawberry plant happened to come in with another plant that someone donated.  It is now spreading around its corner of the garden.  I ate both the chard and the strawberries, and i didn't get sick.

Paul Neufeld