Fwd: [MG] Yolanda Garcia Nos Quedamos/We Stay - Passes Away

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: [MG] Yolanda Garcia Nos Quedamos/We Stay - Passes Away
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:26:15 EST

Friends,

We lose another fine community gardener - this time in the Bronx. I met
Yolanda late last year, during the garden move/consolidation in the Melrose
section, a great lady, gardener, giver to the community - a great heart for
everyone,
but not enough to sustain her longer.

They say that God lends us people like Yolanda for a short time, only.
Another great one passes.  Yoland Garcia will be much missed.

Adam Honigman
Volunteer
Clinton Community Garden

> bj: [MG] Yolanda Garcia Nos Quedamos/We Stay - Passes Away
>  Date: 2/18/05 9:05:02 PM Mid-Atlantic Standard Time
>  From: peas@moregardens.org
>  To: mg@lists.mayfirst.org
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> Wednesday February 16th 1pm, outside of Nos Quedamos, South Bronx.
>
> Yolanda just coming out of her car most likely from another long
> meeting,
> She welcomes Cindy our new college intern.
> Yolanda kindly turns down my offer of a hug, "I have the stomach flu".
>
> We chat for a bit and I mention the meeting More Gardens! had with
> Rincsn Criollo....  would she write a letter of support for Rincon
> Criollo's bid to move to 156th street and Brook to create a Cultural
> Center and Community Garden? She said, "Thats' what should have
> happened since last year when HPD teased Rincsn with their offer. Can
> you send me the info so I can write the letter to HPD?"
> I was so enthralled knowing that the long contentions between these two
> power houses of Melrose was coming around in such a healing circle.
>
> After talking more business of how to bring in grant money for the
> community gardens,
> she changes the topic and I notice the tone of voice she uses
> especially when she asks me about my nieces or her own grandchildren.
>
>  "Have you seen my son?" she buoyantly asks me.
> I was a bit confused, since I was sure she did not have a son.
> She repeated the question with even more enthusiasm.
> Then motioned me to come to the corner of  Courtlandt and 158th Street.
> I was  convinced that I was about to see this amazing person in the
> middle of some magical act.
>
> She proudly points into the sky, " They just took off the
> scaffolding...!"
>
> Her son/sun was emanating from the largest building about 3 blocks away.
> Brickwork embedded rays bursting from the tallest section of the mostly
> completed building Palacio del Sol.
> Her smile was contagious.
>

> Thursday  February 17th, 11:30 AM, inside of Nos Quedamos, South Bronx :
>
> Yolanda Garcia suffers a massive heart attack.
> Her friends and family rush to get help.  This is out of nowhere.
> Everyone is shocked.
> The medics work on her for a long time at 811 Courtlandt.
> She was brought to Lincoln Hospital.
>
> On her deathbed, Yolanda gives instructions to her daughter and staff
> that the struggle must go on.
> The work must continue...
>

> My heart goes out to one of the hardest working and caring people I
> have had the blessings to share our earth with.
> Now high in the Melrose sky I will always see her smile, shining come
> hail, rain or snow.
>
> aresh javadi
>

> Viewing will be held on March 1, 2,
> Service will be on the March 3.
> More Info call Nos Quedamos 718-585-2323
Wednesday February 16th 1pm, outside of Nos Quedamos, South Bronx.

Yolanda just coming out of her car most likely from another long
meeting,
> [...]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Palacio-del-Sol.jpg]