RE: school gardening and garden start-up costs

  • Subject: RE: [cg] school gardening and garden start-up costs
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:53:14 -0500

Check out http://www.schoolgardenwizard.org/

Betsy Johnson
Executive Director
American Community Gardening Assoc.
877-275-2242  betsyjohnson@communitygarden.org

-----Original Message-----
From: community_garden-admin@mallorn.com
[mailto:community_garden-admin@mallorn.com] On Behalf Of
plcarol@region.waterloo.on.ca
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:48 AM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: [cg] school gardening and garden start-up costs

We are trying to get local school support for community gardening.  The
biggest road block cited is that the garden season is during summer break.
 Can you give me some creative suggestions to get around this.  We thought
that community partnership models might work but we have to make it seem
easy to get buy in.

Also, the Ontario growing season is short - most of the harvest is over
before school starts up again in September.  Can you give me some ideas
about spring or fall crops the kids can benefit from growing?

We also need a small cost analysis/budget  for basic garden start-up
(Canadian $ appreciated)

Carol Popovic R.N., B.Sc.N.,
Region of Waterloo Public Health
99 Regina St S., Wloo On. N2J4V3