Winter Gardening in Hell's Kitchen

  • Subject: [cg] Winter Gardening in Hell's Kitchen
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:28:26 -0500

Winter Gardening:
On Saturday the  radio report said heavy snow, so I set aside my heavy rubber boots, warmer waterproof coat, and just enough undergarments to wick, not soak. When I woke, NYC was white and the cars parked along the streets were white domes.
And after oj, tea and bialy were downed, I  walked the dogs and headed down the garden at about 9:00 am.  Usually I'm the first or second, but there were three others already shovelling the 150 foot street frontage of the Clinton Community Garden.
 Compost John was the first but there were two other new garden key holders, not yet gardeners, at work. Then a roving photographer named Helen showed amazing shovelling style. Our garden chair, Nancy Severance shovelled, picked up some more rock salt and was amazed at how fast the job had gotten done -before noon.
There had been no blanket e-mail, phone tree to get people out. Neil Shettler, usually one of the shovel regulars had purchased two extra snow shovels and placed them in the shed. And called in the middle of the job to ask if we needed him to come up.
But Neil  was able to stay warm because folks just set their alarm clocks and showed - just knew to be there to clear a walk for the neighborhood to look in, open the gate with one of the  over 5,000 keys the CCG has distributed, to make snow angels and snowmen - our compost heaps steaming away.
Adam Honigman