Barrels to store rainwater for greenhouse gardening

  • Subject: [cg] Barrels to store rainwater for greenhouse gardening
  • From: "Garth Taylor" gtaylor@mcic.org
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:56:20 -0600

Does anyone have advice on the best type of barrel to use to capture
rainwater from the roof, bring it inside a greenhouse, and use it to water
fruits and vegetables. I have been using 55-gallon blue plastic barrels that
were once used for some kind of food transport.

I like the barrels because they are easy to work with - I can use PVC
materials to install spigots and overflow drains; and because they are low
cost.

But someone told me there is a risk of leakage from the plastic into the
water where there is a high temperature. Has anyone heard about this
problem? How high does the temperature have to be? Are we talking about the
temperature of the water in the barrel (which is always pretty low because
it is a heat/cold sink), or the temperature of the air?

What would be a better system?

Also, where can I get more of these blue barrels?

Thanks,

=Garth Taylor

Chicago / Southwest Michigan