RE: Barrels to store rainwater for greenhouse gardening

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Barrels to store rainwater for greenhouse gardening
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:14:25 -0500

Hi, Folks!

Garth Taylor <gtaylor@mcic.org> wrote:

<<Does anyone have advice on the best type of barrel to use to capture
rainwater from the roof, bring it inside a greenhouse, and use it to water
fruits and vegetables. I have been using 55-gallon blue plastic barrels that
were once used for some kind of food transport.

I like the barrels because they are easy to work with - I can use PVC
materials to install spigots and overflow drains; and because they are low

This is exactly what we use and I've been very happy about them for the same

<<But someone told me there is a risk of leakage from the plastic into the
water where there is a high temperature. Has anyone heard about this
problem? How high does the temperature have to be? Are we talking about the
temperature of the water in the barrel (which is always pretty low because
it is a heat/cold sink), or the temperature of the air?>>

I'd go back to this person and have them give you more information -- exact
temperatures, etc.  If they can't give you good documentation, I'd just not
worry about it for the reasons you listed above -- the water in the barrels
is going to moderate your temperatures fairly well.

<<Also, where can I get more of these blue barrels?>>

Find out who processes food around where you live.  Here in Phoenixville, we
are home to Morgan's Salad Dressing and we can get either blue or white
barrels, depending on what type of vinegar is being used that week.  If you
are willing to haul them away, most companies are happy to have them off
their hands.  You might also be able to get 5 gallon buckets this way, too
-- we get ours that contained either honey or blue cheese crumbles.

(Now, I'm hungry! ;-))

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of