Re: Barrels to store rainwater for greenhouse gardening

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Barrels to store rainwater for greenhouse gardening
  • From: William Hohauser williamhohauser@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:15:29 -0500

It's an interesting question. I am only guessing that a plastic designed to house acidic food stuffs would be more resistant to leaching but for how long?

In our garden we are more worried about the rainwater itself as it carries city soot and other unknown pollutants. A rain barrel can serve as a place where these rain carried contaminants can build up over the course of the year. We have access to city tap water so our vegetable growers tend to use that more.

WH
Sixth Street & Avenue B Garden
NYC