RE: Greenhouses in comm gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Greenhouses in comm gardens
  • From: "Fred Conrad" fred.conrad@acfb.org
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:52:51 -0500

we just built a small 8' by 16' foot greenhouse at one of our gardens.  we were thinking of theft being more of an issue than vandalism, but that's always out there.  i'll keep you posted.

we tried to use the city greenhouses at Maddox Park, like Park Pride Atlanta was able to do, but it didn't pan out for us because they made it profoundly more complicated than we could deal with.  they had a lot of issues with potential contamination from our re-used pots and trays and questionably stored seeds and donated odds and ends of potting soil.  i think Park Pride must have money to use all new materials each year.

a hundred years ago when i was in the plant nursery business we built a greenhouse and the biggest surprise was that local police would come by and nose around for pot all the time.  i think they scared away all potential thieves and vandals just by being there so often.  thank goodness they didn't check the back forty, btw.

fgc