Frugal garden challenge and the state of garden knowledge

  • Subject: [cg] Frugal garden challenge and the state of garden knowledge
  • From: "Sharon Gordon" gordonse@one.net
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:19:00 -0500

While looking for sources for seeds for a frugal garden challenge, I had the
following conversation over the phone with a helpful store clerk who was
working alone in the store.

Gardener: Hi, do you have any vegetable seeds in yet?
Clerk: Vegetable seeds? What are those?
Gardener:  (thinking quickly to figure out what garden produce might be the
most familiar--even though the one I chose is a fruit) Vegetable
seeds...they are like tomato seeds.  You plant the seed and get a tomato
plant.
Clerk: I don't know, but I could go look.  I have to go to the bathroom.
Could you call back in a few minutes.
Gardener: Sure, or I could hold the phone, so it won't ring while you are in
the bathroom.
Clerk: OK.  (Puts gardener on hold)
( 7 minutes pass)
Clerk: OK, tell me again what you want.
Gardener: Little packages of vegetable seeds.  They are in envelopes about
half the size of letter envelopes.
Clerk: OK.  (Goes off to look)
Clerk: Do seeds make flowers?
Gardener: Yes, they do.
Clerk: We have some flower seeds.
Gardener: Just flower seeds?  Do you have any vegetables?
Clerk: (Looks again)  All of them are flowers except for one--sweet peas.

Three other places knew what vegetable and flower seeds were, but told me
that the only vegetable they had left was sweet peas.  One clerk thought
that maybe it was a flower though and not the sort of vegetable I was
looking for so she asked about the difference between sweet peas and food
peas.

It can't be too soon that every school has its own garden!

Sharon
gordonse@one.net