Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [cg] [AG] Genetically-Engineered Agriculture

I DO work for a university although I am not a researcher.  I just ask folks to be carefull not to make this or any issue too black and white.  Life is full of complexities and shades of gray and people are motivated by many things.  My experience with university researchers is that they are interested in helping producers, not the chemical industry.  That is not to say that there may not be issues that the researchers have failed to consider, but please don't lump all researchers together as bad guys who don't care about the environment and are primarily motivated by greed.

At 08:12 PM 01/04/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Dale, who do you work for?
>  I'm aware that universities get their funding from chemical
>companies for their research on so called "safe" insecticides,
>herbicides and the rest. So we can hardly call agricultural
>research (for the most part) highly reliable, can we?
>    Perhaps justifiable paranoia is healthy.

*  Marianne Riofrio
*  Department of Horticulture & Crop Science
*  232B Howlett Hall, 2001 Fyffe Ct.
*  Columbus, OH  43210-1096
*  Tel:   614-292-8326
*  Fax:  614-292-3505
*  Email:  riofrio.1@osu.edu
Visit the Ohio Master Gardener Web Site: