Re: NYC and the mayor's altruism

This issue was also mentioned on CSF's homeless list last month.
According to the article at
  http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/991221/ny_hud_bar_1.html
the federal money was being used as a political weapon by NYC gov't.

While we're offtopic, I was struck by the similarity between
the community garden battle in NYC and the issues described
in the Cato Institute's "How and Why to Privatize Public Lands,"
  http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-363es.html
which proposes offering shares of U.S. public lands equally to
all U.S. citizens, and then auctioning off all lands during the
coming decades, using the shares as currency.

One of the essay's authors, Terry Anderson, has reported been
hired by Governor G.W. Bush as his public lands policy advisor.

I encourage you all to read as much of the report as you can
tolerate.

Michael

 :}Did anyone see John Leo's,(who writes for U. S. News and World Report),
 :}column on NYC? Andrew Cuomo gave HUD money to Housing Works. Took it from the
 :}mayor who planned on using it for the homeless and poverty-stricken. The
 :}amount was $60 million.
 :}Leo said that "Housing Works" misappropriated $500000, and used guerilla
 :}tactics disguised as a Free Speech issue to get its way.
 :}Comment from NYC people?  This is in direct contrast to the idea of taking
 :}the community gardens away.
 :}Thanks,
 :}Kay
 :}