RE: School and community gardening resources

First: Contact The American Community Gardening Association (ACGA)  and The
Trust for Public Land (TPA) which are a tremendous source of community
gardening and public space management information. The contact the New York
City Council for the Environment ( which runs our GreenMarket farmer's
market program and under whose aegis the Green Thumb community Gardening
program is.) The internet links can be found under both ACGA and TPA.

Second: Get soil samples from every proposed plot of land and send them to
Cornell's agricultural extension for analysis for toxins, heavy metals and
general soil composition. With this survey done, you will see what you need
in terms of remediation, avoidance ( if toxin levels are too high) etc.

Third: Get to know all public space and park managers in Utica. Make them
your friends, tell them what  you want to do, what you have the money and
mandate to do and ask what they'd do in your place. Some of these folks are
hacks, others are enthusiasts. You can learn from both groups. The idea is
not to re-invent the wheel, try to make friends and allies. Learn the Utica
ordinances on composting, waste removal, collecting of leaves. Make friends
with the fire and police departments. Make sure both groups learn to see the
low income young people working with you as "friendlies."

Fourth: Ourtreach to local schools, block associations, churches, the local
politicals, and most importantly, the residents who live immmediately
adjacent to your projects is absolutely essential. Community gardening has
to involve the community if it is to be sustained.

Great luck!

Adam Honigman
Bowne Publishing Division
345 Hudson Street