RE: children's community garden

Ms Riddick:

First have the raised bed tested for lead and other heavy metals ( a sample
to the NJ State agriculture dept would work, I'm not sure if there's anyone
at Montclair State who does that). Be sure that parents have signed an
activity release form, or in lieu of that, plan to be near the kids. When
small kids are using real metal trowels, there needs to be more than one
pair of adult eyes watching them. Maybe you gardener volunteer instructor
should maybe talk to a good kindergarden teacher on how to work with the
kids in a largish group ( no more than 6-8 at a time.) Anything larger will
be a problem.

There are some great Rodale Publishing gardening materials for children, and
again, that kindergarden teacher would be a great source person.

Good luck,

Adam