school/community based nature center

We are from Mrs. Benjamin's 4th grade class, at Mokena Elementary School,
in Illinois.  We are thinking of starting up a natural garden to help
students learn about natural plants and animals.  Can you give us any ideas
for our center?  Are there any groups or programs around here that could
help us?  You can send information to the above e-mail address, or mail to
us at Mokena Elementary School, 11244 Willowcrest Lane, Mokena , IL  60448.
 Thank you.