Re: school/community based nature center

There are a number of good books and excellent information as well on the Internet that should help you.  Those of us on staff of the National Wildlife Federation's Backyard Wildlife Habitat program work with people of all ages at their homes, schools, and in their communities to help them save and improve habitat for wildlife. Please visit our website at www.nwf.org/habitats
for more information. You might also look at back issues of our magazines, such as National Wildlife and Ranger Rick for stories about wildlife gardening and people who, like you, are interested in helping wildlife with your gardening efforts.  Another good site for people interested in gardening for wildlife and using native plants to do this is The Wild Ones website at www.for-wild.org. If you want to know lots about monarch butterflies in your wildlife garden, visit www.monarchwatch.org

Please stay in touch with us if we can be of further help.

Craig Tufts
Chief Naturalist
Backyard Wildlife Habitat Program
National Wildlife Federation
8925 Leesburg Pike
Vienna, VA 22184
(703) 790-4438

>>> "Roianne Benjamin" <benjaminr@mokena159.net> 01/12/00 11:00AM >>>
We are from Mrs. Benjamin's 4th grade class, at Mokena Elementary School,
in Illinois.  We are thinking of starting up a natural garden to help
students learn about natural plants and animals.  Can you give us any ideas
for our center?  Are there any groups or programs around here that could
help us?  You can send information to the above e-mail address, or mail to
us at Mokena Elementary School, 11244 Willowcrest Lane, Mokena , IL  60448.
 Thank you.