Re: City support for Community Gardens.

Dear fellow gardeners,

A couple of weeks ago, I sent an e-mail to you asking for information on ways that your City supports Community Gardening efforts.  At that time I was preparing for a meeting with our Mayor and the City Manager.  I wanted to drop a short note to let you know how our meeting went.

First of all, they were very interested in Community Gardening efforts in Wichita and interested in helping.  For now, I will be working with the assistant to the City Manager.  She is going to arrange to make a City dump truck available so we can take compost to each of the garden sites.  They will also make wood chips available to gardeners.  They are going to provide an updated list of vacant lots which could be used for community gardens.  They are going to help with publicity through city publications, newsletters, and the Mayor is going to set a proclamation that March is the Community Garden month.  The City Managers office is also going to assign a liaison to stay informed with community gardening efforts in the City.  It will be sooo nice to have a contact person in the City Managers office.

This is a start.  I hope to stay in touch with the Mayor and City Managers office and will provide them with additional ways that they can offer support.

I want to thank each of you for taking the time to send me information on ways that your City is helping.

Happy gardening.

Marie :-)